Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Easter Feast 2011

Dad, Brother and Uncles
Chickens

Kontosouvli (pork)
yum!


Pig


Nothing says Greek Easter like a lamb on a spit-- let alone a pig, goat, chickens, kokoretsi, and kontosouvli. This year we outdid ourselves. Who ate all this food you might ask? My Big Fat Greek Family. And you can't eat all that meat without a couple delicious mediterranean side dishes (and by a couple I mean 15.)

the table is set!



Traditionally in my family, the men are responsible for preparing and cooking the meat. The day before Easter Sunday they dry rub the gutted-hairless animals (ordered from the local greek market) inside and out, with copious salt, pepper, and of course oregano. They then skewer them and let them sit over night.  Early Easter morning the charcoal pit is started, and the low and slow cooking process is begun. It is well worth the wait, evident by the gathering of people at the butchers table as each individual animal is ready to be removed from the spit.




As much as I love preparing the traditional (and non-traditional) side dishes with my mom, this year my favorite experience was braiding lamb intestines with my Uncle George! He fryed all the unused parts of the lamb so the men could eat as an accompaniment to their tsipouro, while they watch the charcoal pit, and brushed the animals with oil.


the finished product: garthouba
Believe it or not, this was not my first time braiding the bowel of a lamb! When I was younger I used to help my yiayia do this for her traditional Easter eve soup-- magiritsa.





Preparing a Meal this big a a group effort! Here's a closer look @ the Eater Feast:
Thea Maria's Gigandes
Thea Maria's Pastitsio
Thea Maro's Sarmades: stuffed grape leaves
Thea Nouli's Tsatsiki: cucumber yogurt spread


Thea Nouli's Potato salad
My Spring Salad
Mom's Tiropitakia: Cheese pies
Thea Zoi's Melitsanosalata: Eggplant spread
My Tortellini Salad
Mom's Spanakopita
Mom's Lasagna Rolls

Traditionally dyed eggs
My fresh motzarella, tomato, basil salad
Mom's shrimp rice
Thea Zoi's Bouryoudi: Spicy baked feta

No comments:

Post a Comment